Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Empty Altec 210 Split horn boxes for sale

  1. #1
    Inactive Member morespeakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Have a pair of 210 split boxes for sale and here is some info about them.

    Sound Practices Magazine Featured an article in issue 15 (THE 210 SPLIT-Domesticating the giant Altec 210 Bass Cabinet by Mike Frye)on how to make a 210 bass horn work in your living room by spliting one double woofer 210 box into two single woofer boxes. Altec 515 was the woofer originally used and is still the best choice.
    The split in half 210 boxes give you a straight horn (always better than folded) and the horn loading goes down to 50-60hz in split form according Dr. Bruce Edgars calculations. Much lower horn loading than an A5 or A7.

    The large bass reflex volume in the 210 and now added rear ports have augmented the bass down to the mid to high 20's range in most rooms if you use an Altec woofer. Again much lower than A5 or A7 reflex section.

    I have found just about any cheap or expensive light weight cone big magnet 15" woofer will work down to 35-40 hz or so (JBL alnico 2220 is the best choice if you can't get an Altec) but the Altec 515 woofers are clearly better and go lower. A 416 woofer works great too.

    After the split the foot print is very small and manageble 17.5" wide by 39.5" deep and the height is 60". It can now fit nicely in most domestic situations and allow the possibility of a 2-way horn system with a Hiraga 500hz crossover (Sound practices issue 11).(I have a pair of Hiraga 8ohm crosovers already done that a friend is borrowing but they are for sale) I also have some long multicell 220 hz cuttoff 1" throat horns for anyone interested. I have had these speakers for many years and have much knowledge and experience with these very fun speakers and can help you set them up and make driver choices for you if needed.

    Folks these speakers not only are super smooth sounding when set up correctly but will punch you in the gut with a few single ended watts and are the next step for the A5-A7 user wanting deep bass.

    $950 pair

    here is a link for a possibility of shipping, if you have a better way or would like to pick them up let me know.

    http://www.forwardair.com/services/faservices.htm

    please email with any questions
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member morespeakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *By the way these 210 boxes can take the 16" Altec frame woofers.

    **I will entertain trades (no guarantees), Tad components especially woofers, maybe other vintage speaker stuff.

    ***I want to add a note while they are probably not labratory flat to the mid 20's they do have good output to the mid and high 20's in a normal 12'X 24'room when test tones were played with the Altec woofers.

    Although I have not measured them with a microphone the gut test works fine on this one.
    The low bass is definitely very substantial over the A5/A7 box and it does it with a smaller (but different shaped) footprint!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did you do the mods yourself ?

    Ever try some JBL 2225's or 2226's in them?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member morespeakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes I did the split myself and it is not as easy a job as you might think but I got it done after a few hours a day for a week or so,it is very well braced inside.
    I have not tried 2225 or 6 but I have tried some D-140's (similar cone) and would have to say the heavy cones are not an ideal match for the horn section although they could work if you are not too picky about the sound like for a club or something. Really a light cone heavy magnet is needed for these things to come alive and JBL 2220 can be found pretty cheap if you are on a budget.

    Probably the best thing to do is find some blown Altec 421 or 416 frames and have Great Plains Audio recone them as a 416 they only charge $114 for a recone per speaker. Really a new Altec speaker for $114 plus frame is amazing in my opinion. If you can find some 515 frames even better.

    I am a JBL fan for many years but when push comes to shove my money is on Altec drivers, I really think they are better especially for this particular box.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All of the 421 variants had a 4.875 lb. ferrite magnet, with gap flux of 14,000-14,400 gauss. The only ferrite 416, the 416-8C also had the 4.875 lb magnet, but gap flux of 11,000 gauss, suggesting a different front plate/pole piece configuration than used in the 421s. While 416 kits will "fit" in 421 frames, such hybrids still aren't the same as 416-8Cs, or any others, for that matter. Still, they might (or might not) function well for your application, just not predictably.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member morespeakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the valuable info about 421 frames.

    I assumed the Altecs were like a JBL 130-140, same frame, different kit plus I have seen people put 416 kits in the 421 so I knew it would work. I didn't realize the differences you mentioned.

    Again thanks for the correction.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The data I posted was from Altec's published spec sheets, which, in a few other cases, has proven to be incorrect, so I can't say for sure it's true. I'll be reconing some of both drivers in the future, and will try to verify it.

    Even if the frames were identical, I'd still discourage hybridization of drivers, there's enough confusion out there as it is.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member morespeakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a suggestion to those out there with Altec A5 systems. You could very easily switch over your current setup by just swapping the bass cabinets and using the A5 horns, drivers, crossover and have a working system immediately.

    The A7 with its 800hz crossover will not work though. The crossover needs to be a 500hz cross point or the high and low section will not form a seemless blend.

    Anyway this is just a suggestion.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I couldn't resist to reply .

    Those with A5 should keep them the way they are.

    Those with A7 who whant to convert to A5 will require a medium investment.
    1 : You need a larger horn and more powerful driver.
    2 : The passive XO N500F is by gone technology
    and could be updated to Actvie XO instead.

    Some times things sound easier done than they actually are in reality.
    ................................

  10. #10
    Inactive Member morespeakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe I should have elaborated a little more on what I was trying to convey. My idea was just an example on how to use these boxes in a system and how easy it would be to get a system put together and working if you are using an A5 system at the moment. I would imagine most Altec guys would not trash the A5 cab even if they weren't using them. If you get a working system together quickly is is encouraging and will give you the time to find another set of 515's,329 horns and better crossovers in the mean time. I agree there are better options than the stock Altec crossovers but that was not the point. The point was just to show the ease of getting up a system up and running. Sorry if I gave the idea to break apart any stock A5 systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.